South Africa's first animation academy
(23 May 2010)
Khayelitsha, South Africa - March 25, 2010
1. Mid shot of a shack
2. Mid of mother and children walking past shacks
3. Close up of puppeteers dancing
4. Mid of onlookers
5. Mid of puppet dancers at Animation Academy opening celebrations
6. Close up of drummer's hands with band in background
7. Mid of drummers facing puppet dancers
8. Tilt down of drummers to steel drum
9. Wide of crowd sitting at opening ceremony
10. Close up of motion graphic display
11. Wide of ceremony
12. Mid of Aardman studios executive David Sproxton UPSOUND: (English) "It's really my very first trip to South Africa, I was here many many years ago, for three days.
13. Close up of Aardman studios show-reel playing on screen
14. Mid of guests unveiling the plaque
Khayelitsha, South Africa, April 19, 2010
15. Wide of students at school
16. Mid of student drawing
17. Tilt up from comic book to students drawing
18. Mid of student drawing
19. Tilt down of student sketching a car
20. Various set up shots of Stefaney Samuels
21. SOUNDBITE (English) Stefaney Samuels, Student:
"Mostly I'm like inspired by Anime but don't want to make it all Anime because I want to also put like South African to it, also putting my own kind of animation style into it."
22. Pan of students in classroom
23. Mid of teacher coaching students UPSOUND (English): "You've got the right idea, don't stop using your vanishing points. Ok, so if this is you working this way you've got to work it through, that's your vanishing point, work it through that."
24. Tilt down of student to her drawing
25. Mid of teacher giving advice to student UPSOUND (English): "ok so using this but you go through here. That's it, the opposite way like that."
26. Tilt down of student to his drawings and explaining
27. Close up of students discussing drawings
28. Mid of teacher drawing on board UPSOUND (English): " Because that gives you the size. And straight away you just connect everything to another vertical line, it defines the size. Another vertical line there, that defines the size."
29. SOUNDBITE (English) Gary Kachelhoffer, Programme Manager for Animation - False Bay College
"We were trying to aim it at basically the unemployed people and unskilled people that we have in Cape Town, which actually sits in Mitchell's Plain and Khayelitsha between the two. So it really is at the previously disadvantaged people, but there are qualifications.They have to have a grade 12 or Matric to get into the course, as well as a portfolio requirement. They have to have a certain amount of drawing skills and we will add to these drawing skills."
30. Tilt up of Thembelani Kwaza peeling potatoes
31. Wide of Kwaza putting food in fridge
32. Close up of Kwaza
33. Close up over the shoulder of Kwaza drawing portrait
34. Close up of Kwaza drawing portrait
35. SOUNDBITE (English) Thembelani Kwaza, Student:
"I have dreams in life. In the future, I want to be a successful animator. I want to do movies, I want to make beautiful cartoons. That's where I want to be in the future because everyone in life has a dream, so I would like to see my dream succeed, that is why I enjoy it."
36. Wide of a shack
37. Mid of family walking past shacks
Cape Town's Khayelitsha, one of South Africa's largest and poorest townships, is home to the country's first public animation academy.
The creators of the world-famous cartoon characters, Wallace and Gromit, rolled into town, to open the centre which is now bringing hope to dozens of young people.
These are the dusty streets of Khayelitsha, a township with an estimated population of 900,000 renowned for its poverty and violence.
But now there may just be something to smile about.
You can license this story through AP Archive: https://www.aparchive.com/meta....data/youtube/a8f498e
Find out more about AP Archive: https://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork